Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My husband and I went up to Birmingham this past weekend to visit my husband's brother & family. We awoke Saturday morning to SNOW!! It was the first time that my 5 year old niece and 2 year old nephew got to see snow. They had a blast building a 2 foot tall snowman with bits of twigs and grass packed into the ice. This was true Alabama snow...just deep enough to ALMOST cover the grass and leaves on the ground. Later while driving around to visit other friends in the area, I saw nearly a dozen of these short dirty snowmen in various front yards around town. Since snow is so uncommon in most of Alabama I kind of expected to see lots of snowmen, but I was surprised to see that nearly every snowman I saw was all decked out in either Auburn or Alabama gear. It reminded me of a short stort by David Sedaris. While working as a Christmas Elf at Macy's, the author/narrator comes to the realization that no one's unique. He comes to this conclusion after hearing one clever parent after another make the same smart-ass jokes and remarks to santa throughout the holidays. Then he begins to wonder how so many people could come up with the same exact idea, like asking santa for a master card or in this case giving your snowman a team hat and pompoms for arms.

Saturday night, my brother-in-law & his wife hired a baby-sitter, and we all went to see a concert. Against Me & Jimmy Eat World opened for the Foo Fighters. My husband and I both claim Jimmy Eat World as our favorite band, so we were VERY excited to see the show. I think that Jimmy Eat World only played about 9 songs. I would really like to see them as the headline act sometime. Against Me & the Foo Fighters were wonderful too. Mid way through the concert, the Foo Fighters lowered a second stage into the middle of the arena. Then the entire band moved to the new stage and played an acoustic set for about an hour. It was pretty cool, because the second stage allowed the band to engage the audience in back of the arena in the seats furthest from the main stage. We all had a great time, even thought we were the old people at the concert.

I tried to knit on the ride back to Mobile, but I fell asleep. My stole has doubled in length since the last photo I posted, but I still haven't even finished the first repeat of the pattern. Hopefully I'll have a few good afternoons of knitting this week, but with my parade coming up this Thursday, I doubt that I will have any time to knit.





No comments: